Tuesday, May 13, 2014

"If not now, when..."


Hillel The Elder was a famous Jewish religious leader, one of the most important figures in Jewish history. He is popularly known as the author of two sayings: (1) If I am not for myself, who is for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, then when?" and (2) the expression of the ethic of reciprocity, or "Golden Rule": "That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn."



Hi Lee. Thanks so much for your note. I really don’t know how to properly thank you for all the wonderful years we‘ve been together. I still remember Bob Kimmel telling me he had a sales guy in  DC that we’d want to keep after our  merger and my anxiety over whether we could afford another person there and how you’d get along with our friend Burke. 


But little did I know that Bob was  introducing us to someone who would be the radio life and soul of NBN for a quarter of a century. You showed yourself right away to be not just an extremely talented radio and TV announcer, writer, and producer (which was no surprise to you and should not have been to us given your resume) but more importantly one of the best people I’ve known in a work situation-- unfailingly kind, gracious, cooperative, loyal , hard working, and of course gifted with a great radio voice that made even my dad jealous.


Lee, I will always cherish the fact that we had a chance to work with someone like you and to share in your life. I am truly sorry that we could not continue the company as it has been for so many years, but sales have  slid unremittingly over the last 2 and a half years, and we could not find a way to stop that. We will be able to continue in a much smaller fashion but the heyday of broadcast public relations seems to have passed. There were some good times and some years we all did well and in my own mental history of NBN and its growth and success, you rank at the top of the people who made it the special place to be that it was for me and my brothers and for, I hope, you and many others as well.

Thank you so much for your offer to help when needed, and I hope we’re busy enough that we need to take advantage of that kindness.  All my best to you, your wife and your family. I hope to get down to DC in the next few months to say good bye to Mary (you probably know that she decided it was best for her and her family to take a job with one of our competitors) so perhaps we can all have lunch together. Remember the lunches with burke and art at that place over in Arlington? 

 Anyway, again all my best, let me know if there’s anything I can do to help your transition to the garden of the retired, and I hope to see you soon. Michael

Now, that's a pretty good way to "sign off" my broadcast career.
End of Brag.

 -Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment